I’ve signed up as a “featured author” at the 2017 GRL Retreat in Denver, Colorado. I’ll be updating this page with the progress of my preparations and things I plan to do at the event, and eventually with a summary of how it all went. For now, this page is a work in progress!
I have never attended any writers’ conference in any capacity, so this’ll be quite the adventure, seeing as I’m:
- a total newbie
- an introvert
- quite shy
My schedule so far leading up to GRL as well as at the event is:
- Sat. Sept. 9, 2017 – I have a GRL-related Guest Post up at Joyfully Jay M/M Romance Reviews & More‘s blog where I talk about my anxieties as a total newbie to GRL (or, for that matter, any convention).
- Mon., Sept. 25, 2017 — I scored a much-coveted spot on Jeff & Will’s Big Gay Fiction podcast! The show will go out at 12:00 a.m. PT the morning of September 25 across all podcast channels and YouTube.
- Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 @ 3:00 p.m. — Newbie Orientation — I’m going to try very hard to arrive in time to attend this (wanna get one of those GRL virgin cherry stickers! 😉)
- Thurs., Oct. 19, 2017 @ 9:00 a.m – 11:00 a.m. (2 shifts) – Indi Pub Tables Cashier
- Thurs., Oct. 19, 2017 @ 12:30 p.m. – 12:45 p.m. — Spotlight: Author Reading (I haven’t decided what I’ll read yet.)
- Thurs., Oct. 19, 2017 @ 3:00 p.m. – 3:45 p.m. — Author Lounge at Evergreen Foyer
- Fri., Oct. 20, 2017 @ 10:00 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. — Author Lounge at Evergreen Foyer
- Fri., Oct. 20, 2017 @ 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. — At the QueeRomance Ink / QueerSciFi Table
- Sat., Oct. 21, 2017 @ 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. — The GayRomLit retreat massive book signing event (all featured authors)
My understanding is that the author lounge time is when I’ll be available for handing out swag, chit-chatting with whomever stops by to say hello, and signing books (in addition to the big book signing event). I’ve ordered some swaggy-stuff now (silicone wristbands, bookmarks, notepads, pens, letter openers, drawstring bags, candy). I’ll have postcards with the covers of some of my books to use at the signing event. I’ll also have booklets containing a complete and free short story to give away! I’ll hand out raffle tickets to all attendees of my author reading to bribe…er…lure people in, then the first 10 to present their ticket at my author lounge sessions get to choose a nifty prize from a selection of BlueQ items or Assigned Male Comics posters (first come first served). Two attendees at the reading will also win a free paperback! I’ll post pictures of this stuff once it’s all arrived.
I managed to secure a spot on the Indie Pub Authors’ table where I’ll have books for sale throughout the retreat. Apparently, unless an author’s publisher(s) has a sale table or they’ve secured a coveted spot on the indie table, they can only sell books during their Author Lounge times.
My current GRL-related to-do list includes:
- Finish edits on the free short story I’ll be giving out in booklet form, and get it printed.
- Reserve a rental car (9 hour drive).
Here’s a link to the category archives for any blog posts I might make on the subject.
I’ll post more (including images) of all my swag and prizes once it’s all arrived.
In the meantime, here’s a look at the cover of the free short story booklet I’ll be handing out…