Update November 16, 2017
I had a great time at the event. I enjoyed meeting people I knew from social media, and made some new friends as well. I was still a bit of a wallflower, but that’s not likely to change.
I’m not a big picture taker, but I found a few that others took of me around the web. Clearly I need to practice smiling without squinting. Here they are:
And here are a couple I took of my swag haul after I was home again:
I’ve signed up as a “featured author” at the 2017 GRL Retreat in Denver, Colorado. I’ll be updating this page with the progress of my preparations and things I plan to do at the event, and eventually with a summary of how it all went. For now, this page is a work in progress!
I have never attended any writers’ conference in any capacity, so this’ll be quite the adventure, seeing as I’m:
- a total newbie
- an introvert
- quite shy
…so please say “hi” even if I look like I’m trying to blend into the woodwork.
These are the books I’ll have available for purchase at the event at the Indie Pub Group’s book sale tables:
The prices I’ve set for selling the books at the convention are:
- ’Til Death Do Us Part (paperback includes From This Day Forward) – $11.00
- To Love and To Cherish – $10.00
- Cultivating Love – $9.00
- Snapshots – $8.00
- Sat. Sept. 9, 2017 – I have a GRL-related Guest Post up at Joyfully Jay M/M Romance Reviews & More‘s blog where I talk about my anxieties as a total newbie to GRL (or, for that matter, any convention).
- Mon., Sept. 25, 2017 — I scored a much-coveted spot on Jeff & Will’s Big Gay Fiction podcast! The show will go out at 12:00 a.m. PDT the morning of September 25 across all podcast channels and YouTube.
- Wed., Oct. 18, 2017 @ 3:00 p.m. — Newbie Orientation — I’m going to try very hard to arrive in time to attend this (wanna get one of those GRL virgin cherry stickers! 😉)
- Wed., Oct. 18, 2017 @ 6:00 p.m. — Help set up Indie Pub Group’s book sale tables
- Thurs., Oct. 19, 2017 @ 9:00 a.m – 11:00 a.m. (2 shifts) – Cashier at the Indie Pub Group’s book sale tables
- Thurs., Oct. 19, 2017 @ 1:30 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. — Spotlight: Author Reading (I haven’t decided what I’ll read yet.)
- Thurs., Oct. 19, 2017 @ 3:00 p.m. – 3:45 p.m. — Author Lounge at Evergreen Foyer
- Fri., Oct. 20, 2017 @ 10:00 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. — Author Lounge at Evergreen Foyer
- Fri., Oct. 20, 2017 @ 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. — At the QueeRomance Ink / QueerSciFi Table
- Sat., Oct. 21, 2017 @ 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. — The GayRomLit retreat massive book signing event (all featured authors)
- Sat., Oct. 21, 2017 @ 12:30 p.m. — Help tear down Indie Pub Group’s book sale tables
My understanding is that the author lounge time is when I’ll be available for handing out swag, chit-chatting with whomever stops by to say hello, and signing books (in addition to the big book signing event). I’ve ordered some swaggy-stuff now (silicone wristbands, bookmarks, notepads, pens, letter openers, drawstring bags, candy). I’ll have postcards with the covers of some of my books to use at the signing event. I’ll also have booklets containing a complete and free short story to give away!
I’ll hand out raffle tickets to all attendees of my author reading to bribe…er…lure people in, then the first 11 to present their ticket at my author lounge sessions get to choose a nifty prize from a selection of BlueQ items or Assigned Male Comics posters (first come first served). Two attendees at the reading will also win a free paperback!
I managed to secure a spot on the Indie Pub Authors’ table where I’ll have books for sale throughout the retreat. Apparently, unless an author’s publisher(s) has a sale table or they’ve secured a coveted spot on the indie table, they can only sell books during their Author Lounge times.
Here’s a link to the category archives for any blog posts I might make on the subject.
Here’s a preview of the swag items that’ll be available for you to grab at my author lounge sessions:
Here’s a closer look at that free short story (6,937 words) booklet titled Captain Jack and the Snack Attack that I’ll be handing out:
I’ll hand out raffle tickets to all attendees of my author reading to bribe…er…lure people in, then the first 13 to present their ticket at my author lounge sessions get to choose a nifty prize from a selection of BlueQ items or Assigned Male Comics posters (first come first served). Two attendees at the reading will also win a free paperback!