Update November 16, 2017
I had a great time at the event. I enjoyed meeting people I knew from social media, and made some new friends as well. I was still a bit of a wallflower, but that’s not likely to change.
I’m not a big picture taker, but I found a few that others took of me around the web. Clearly I need to practice smiling without squinting. Here they are:
Image sources: Gigi/Gay Book Reviews | Courtney/FB | Carra-Making It Happen/FB | Elisa/FB
And here are a couple I took of my swag haul after I was home again:
I signed up as a “featured author” at the 2017 GRL Retreat in Denver, Colorado. I’d never attended any writers’ conference in any capacity, so this was quite the adventure, seeing as I’m:
- a total newbie
- an introvert
- quite shy
These are the books I had available for purchase at the event at the Indie Pub Group’s book sale tables:
The prices set for selling the books at the convention were:
- ’Til Death Do Us Part (paperback includes From This Day Forward) – $11.00
- To Love and To Cherish – $10.00
- Cultivating Love – $9.00
- Snapshots – $8.00
- Sat. Sept. 9, 2017 – I have a GRL-related Guest Post up at Joyfully Jay M/M Romance Reviews & More‘s blog where I talk about my anxieties as a total newbie to GRL (or, for that matter, any convention).
- Mon., Sept. 25, 2017 — I scored a much-coveted spot on Jeff & Will’s Big Gay Fiction podcast! The show will go out at 12:00 a.m. PDT the morning of September 25 across all podcast channels and YouTube.
- Wed., Oct. 18, 2017 @ 3:00 p.m. — Newbie Orientation — I scored one of those GRL virgin cherry stickers! 😉)
- Wed., Oct. 18, 2017 @ 6:00 p.m. — Help set up Indie Pub Group’s book sale tables
- Thurs., Oct. 19, 2017 @ 9:00 a.m – 11:00 a.m. (2 shifts) – Cashier at the Indie Pub Group’s book sale tables
- Thurs., Oct. 19, 2017 @ 1:30 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. — Spotlight: Author Reading (Read from To Love and To Cherish.)
- Thurs., Oct. 19, 2017 @ 3:00 p.m. – 3:45 p.m. — Author Lounge at Evergreen Foyer
- Fri., Oct. 20, 2017 @ 10:00 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. — Author Lounge at Evergreen Foyer
- Fri., Oct. 20, 2017 @ 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. — At the QueeRomance Ink / QueerSciFi Table
- Sat., Oct. 21, 2017 @ 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. — The GayRomLit retreat massive book signing event (all featured authors)
- Sat., Oct. 21, 2017 @ 12:30 p.m. — Help tear down Indie Pub Group’s book sale tables
The author lounge time is for handing out swag, chit-chatting with whomever stops by to say hello, and signing books (in addition to the big book signing event). I handed out swaggy-stuff (silicone wristbands, bookmarks, notepads, pens, letter openers, drawstring bags, candy). I also had postcards with the covers of some of my books to use at the signing event and booklets containing a complete and free short story (Captain Jack and the Snack Attack) to give away!
Raffle tickets were handed out to all attendees of my author reading to bribe…er…lure people in, then the first 11 (of the *cough* 9 people who attended) could present their ticket at my author lounge sessions to choose a nifty prize from a selection of BlueQ items or Assigned Male Comics posters (first come first served). Two attendees at the reading also won a free paperback!
I secured a spot on the Indie Pub Authors’ table where I had books for sale throughout the retreat. Apparently, unless an author’s publisher(s) has a sale table or they’ve secured a coveted spot on the indie table, they can only sell books during their Author Lounge times.
Here’s a link to the category archives for my blog posts about GRL 2017.
Here are pics of the swag items I gave away at my author lounge sessions:
Here’s a closer look at that free short story (6,937 words) booklet titled Captain Jack and the Snack Attack that was handed out:
Here are pics of the nifty BlueQ items and Assigned Male Comics posters that attendees from my reading got to choose from.